Re: [Help-gsl] Linear least squares, webpages and the next release

From: Rhys Ulerich
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Linear least squares, webpages and the next release
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015 13:18:36 -0400

Apologies for being out of touch...

> 1. Is anyone out there using GSL besides me?

Since defending, I've not been using GSL on a consistent basis.  Both
I and my advisor's next student made heavy use of the B-spline
routines.  He went on for a postdoc and is still employing them
constantly.

> 2. What functionality would you like to see added to GSL?

I can't sign up for the work, but I think making GSL follow something
like the gnulib module system could be very powerful.  For background,
gnulib is comprised of a collection of modules with programmatic
dependencies.  You say you want some capability imported into a
project via gnulib, and gnulib plugs it into your build system along
with any of its prereqs.  No external compilation/linking is
necessary.

> 3. Are you willing to develop and contribute the features you want?

No, sadly.  Always thought that modularization would be fun but the
day job eats up too much time.

> 4. Would you like to see a quick release of GSL v2.0, or are you content to
> work off the git repository?

2.0 is worth getting into the wild.  It's been a long time since a
formal release.

- Rhys