Re: [Help-gsl] Linear least squares, webpages and the next release

From: Patrick Alken
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Linear least squares, webpages and the next release
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 09:05:11 -0600

On 10/23/2015 12:41 AM, Arun Isaac wrote:
2. What functionality would you like to see added to GSL?
I would like to see better support for complex functions. In particular,
I need bessel functions which can take complex arguments and return
complex results.

Also, support for the C99 complex type would be highly desirable. The
gsl_complex type is really quite unwieldy when expressing large
arithmetic expressions. FFTW style integration with the C99 complex type
would be worth emulating.

http://www.fftw.org/doc/Complex-numbers.html

I've had similar thoughts in the past about gsl_complex, but haven't thought too much about how it could be improved. I'll add this to the todo list

3. Are you willing to develop and contribute the features you want?
Yes, definitely. I have code for calculating a few bessel functions (Jn,
Y0, H01) with complex arguments. I also have a routine for romberg
numerical integration which operates on functions with complex arguments
and complex results. I would happily contribute these routines to GSL. I
haven't done yet because I wasn't quite sure how complex functions
fitted neatly into the rest of GSL. So, better integration with the C99
complex type is really important for me.
This is probably something which would benefit a lot of users