Re: [Help-gsl] Linear least squares, webpages and the next release

From: Peter Johansson
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Linear least squares, webpages and the next release
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 09:28:55 +1000

Hi,

On 10/23/2015 05:17 AM, Patrick Alken wrote:
I've updated the GSL webpages on gnu.org to the latest in the git repository, since many new features have been added since the last 1.16 release. The main page also now recommends to install GSL from the git, since 1.16 is quite outdated. This brings me again to the discussion of the next release of GSL.

The last discussion of GSL v2.0 was in June 2014 (time goes too quickly!). I would like to reopen this discussion. The main points back then holding up v2.0 were:
Why is the next version called v2.0 rather than v1.17. Bumping the major number (1->2) is interpreted by many (including me) that things are gonna break in the interface, which I hope is not the case. Please don't bump major version number just to show how much development has happened between releases.

Just my two cents.

Thanks,
Peter