Re: [Help-gsl] absence of warranty

From: John D Lamb
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] absence of warranty
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 09:18:30 +0100

On 25/09/13 09:02, the wrote:
> Hello
> Does absence of warranty mean that I can't trust results derived with
> the help of gsl?

No. You will find the same absence of warranty on almost any software,
including, for example, Microsoft Excel.

> Do I have to read the source code first to determine if the library
> does what it is expected to do?

No. But you can read the source code if the library does not do what you
expected it to do. This is a big benefit over closed-source software. If
GSL doesn’t work you can fix it. If closed-source software doesn’t work
you can’t.

> Does this all mean that if I'm not willing to read the source I am not
> able to use this library to get trustworthy scientific results?

No. The results will nearly always be trustworthy, as with any good
software. When I use GSL I seldom check the source code. But I do test
the results against other independently-written software. The benefit of
GSL is that if there is a discrepancy, I can check the source code.

--
John D Lamb