Re: [Help-gsl] about GSL and Windows

From: Brian Gladman
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] about GSL and Windows
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 22:21:54 +0100

Hi,

I provide a set of build files for buikdding GSL 1.16 using Visual
Studio 2012 here:

http://gladman.plushost.co.uk/oldsite/computing/gnu_scientific_library.php

I make a change to one GSL file (env.c) to set/get the floating point
control word and two small changes to two GSL test files but all other
files can be built without any further changes.  I also add one file to
support getting/setting the floating point control word.

Although further changes are not needed, I also offer an alternative
build option in which the GSL headers are collected together and
modified in order to make it easier to build and use Windows DLL
libraries.

The build fully supports both 32 and 64 bit builds of both static and
DLL libraries.  With the Microsoft compiler all tests pass but some
tests fail with the Intel compiler but this is not a WIndows specific
problem as the same issues araise on *nix.

So, in summary, GSL can be built with native Windows compilers
(Microsoft and Intel) with only one small change to one file and one
additional file (testing requires additional small changes to two test
files).

It would be trivial to add the changes that I make to the GSL source
code without impacting on its operation on other platforms.

I hope this helps - if not please feel free to ask for further information.

   best regards,

     Brian Gladman