Re: [Help-gsl] about GSL and Windows

From: sisyphus1
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] about GSL and Windows
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 21:00:11 +1000

-----Original Message----- From: Nicolas Limare
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 7:59 PM
To: address@hidden
Subject: [Help-gsl] about GSL and Windows

It seems that the compilation with MSVC is possible and non-officially
documented, but it requires some changes to the GSL headers, usually
managed by a script. Is that because Windows is not POSIX-compliant,
or because MSVC is not a standard ANSI C compiler (or is it..)?

I don't use MSVC and can't really speak for it. (I'm sure there's something in MSVC that's ANSI-compliant ... I know of a few things that aren't ;-)

If the
matter comes from problems specific to MSVC, does GSL compile as-is
(without touching the source) on Windows with gcc (MinGW for example)?

In a word "yes". For me, both gsl-1.15 and gsl-1.16 built "straight out of the box" using the MinGW ports of gcc-4.7.0 - for both 64-bit and 32-bit native Windows. And, for each of those of architectures, I built (in separate runs) both static and shared (dll) versions of the gsl library.

When I build for "native" Windows, I do so in the MSYS shell by running './configure [args] && make && make check && make install'.

I don't know if the gsl sources provide ready built makefiles for MinGW ports of gcc. If they do, then I can't speak for the mileage they provide (as I've never used them).

IMO, there are no problems building gsl for native Windows using the MinGW ports of gcc.

Cheers,
Rob