Re: [Help-gsl] Cannot access GSL functions

From: CRUZ-CAVALCANTI, Yanna
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Cannot access GSL functions
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 10:46:03 +0200

Hello, Brian,

I am really thankful for your answer. It is true that I am building GSL with
Visual Studio 2010. But actually my program worked one year ago when someone
else was using it. Also, fortran does not uses it. My fortran code calls my c++
code, which is linked to gsl. I see it enters my c++ code and it stops in the
first gsl function. That is why I do not think there is a problem with fortran.
I do not understand either why he compiles well, he finds the libraries, but he
crashes after being turned into .exe.

I tried what you suggested and the tests for gsl library succeeded very well.

Just to be more specific, below I show you the steps I am following to install
the library GSL 1.8 and link it to my Visual Studio 2010. Is any step missing?
Do you think it would be better to use a more recent version of gsl? If yes,
where I can find it and what manual to link it to Visual Studio 2010 can I use?

I am very glad with your answer and I am sorry to occupy your time with this,
but there are more than 3 weeks that I am trying to solve this problem and it
is really retarding me. I have no one to help me with this where I am.

I thank you again in advance.

Yanna

Steps:

1.      INSTALL VISUAL C++ 2010 EXPRESS
Open your Administrator account. Copy "vc_web.exe" on your desktop then install
it.
2.      BUILD GSL LIBRARIES FOR Visual studio
- Copy "gsl-1.8-src" folder in  C:\downloads
                                        - Launch Visual C++ 2010 Express
- Open project C:\downloads\gsl-1.8-src\src\gsl\1.8\gsl-1.8\VC8\libgsl.sln
- Continue with convert, and do build solution (press F7)
- Verify that after build is complete, new dll files are generated in
subfolders in
. C:\downloads\gsl-1.8-src\src\gsl\1.8\gsl-1.8\VC8\libgsl\Debug-DLL
. and
. C:\downloads\gsl-1.8-src\src\gsl\1.8\gsl-1.8\VC8\libgslcblas\Debug-DLL
3.      INCLUDE THE GSL LIBRARY
- Launch Visual studio
- Open project Simulator's folder\Gene_IQ\Source_Files\geneIQ_multi_v1.sln
- Select menu Project -> properties
- On the tree display in your project properties dialog box, select branch for
Configu-ration Properties->VC++ directories
- On the right side of the dialog, click on the field for "Executable
Directories". Click on . dropdown button. Choose edit, a dialog for "Executable
directories" will be launched. . Click on button for new line. Put these into
the field (one at a time):
. C:\downloads\gsl-1.8-src\src\gsl\1.8\gsl-1.8\VC8\libgsl\Debug-DLL
. C:\downloads\gsl-1.8-src\src\gsl\1.8\gsl-1.8\VC8\libgslcblas\Debug-DLL
- On the right side of the dialog, click on the field for "Include
Directories". Click on      . dropdown button. Choose edit, a dialog for
"Include directories" will be launched.      . Click on button for new line.
Put this into the field:
. C:\downloads\gsl-1.8-src\src\gsl\1.8\gsl-1.8
- On the right side of the dialog, click on the field for "Library
Directories". Click on       . dropdown button. Choose edit, a dialog for
"Library directories" will be launched.       . Click on button for new line.
Put these entries into the field (one at a time):
. C:\downloads\gsl-1.8-src\src\gsl\1.8\gsl-1.8\VC8\libgsl\Debug-DLL
. C:\downloads\gsl-1.8-src\src\gsl\1.8\gsl-1.8\VC8\libgslcblas\Debug-DLL
- In the property pages dialog, select tree item "configuration
properties->Linker-> In    . put
- On the right hand side details, choose the field "Additional Dependencies".
Click on   . dropdown button. Choose edit and replace what you will find by
these two lines:
. libgsl_dll_d.lib
. libgslcblas_dll_d.lib
- In the property pages dialog, select tree item "configuration
properties->C++-> Pre   . processor

-  Click on edit field for preprocessor definitions. Click on dropdown button.
Choose    . edit. In the "Preprocessor definitions" dialog, add the following
entry :
. GSL_DLL
                                                 -  Press ok to save all your
changes.                                                                   -
Do build solution (press F7).
A new "geneIQ_multi.exe" must have been generated. It will be automatically
saved in Si-mulator's folder\Gene_IQ