[Help-gsl] Newbie linker error

From: Brendan O'Fallon
Subject: [Help-gsl] Newbie linker error
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 09:09:44 -0700

 Hi, I recently installed gsl-1.4 on my linux machine (Redhat 9, kernel
2.6.3, gcc 3.2.2), and configured and installed it the usual way
(./configure... make... make install...) in the default directory.
Everything seemed to go fine,  and 'make check' didn't reveal any
obvious errors. However, when attempting to compile and link a very
simple program the linker returns some errors. Specifically, given a
short bit of code taken right from the gsl reference manual, I get the
following error:

[1005 ~/Projects]$gcc mathc.c
/tmp/ccUNn21s.o(.text+0x28): In function `main':
: undefined reference to `gsl_sf_bessel_J0'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

where the code is:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <gsl/gsl_sf_bessel.h>

int
main (void)
{
  double x = 5.0;
  double y = gsl_sf_bessel_J0 (x);
  printf ("J0(%g) = %.18e\n", x, y);
  return 0;
}

This same error occurs whenever I try to use any part of the library, in
any example program given in the Reference. Surely, there is something
very basic that I am missing here.  A compiler option? Any help would be
sincerely appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  Brendan
--
  Brendan O'Fallon
  address@hidden