Re: [Help-gsl] libgsl.a - Where to get this file?

From: Joakim Hove
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] libgsl.a - Where to get this file?
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 10:38:37 +0100

Dominik Dell <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
> I'd like to use gsl, but I have some installation problems. I use a linux
> system.

Well, that is a good start.

> I have downloaded the include files

You generally should *not* download only include files - you should
download and install a complete package.

If you go to the web-page http://sources.redhat.com/gsl/ you will
links to both the source in tar.gz version, or binary packages for
various linux distributions.

If you install the binary package for your particular distribution you
will typically get all the header files and libraries installed in the
correct locations in your filesystem, but not the sources. (You
generally don't need the sources to use the GSL library - but I for
one often find it quite useful to take a look at the them.)

If you choose to compile yourself you must unpack the sources, and
then go through the

   ./configure
   make
   make install

process. If you don't have root access you probably have to add a
--prefix=/some/path/where/you/can/write to the configure statement,
and also edit the LD_PATH environment variable to include the
directory containing the shared libraries (or link with the static
libraries).

HTH - Good luck

Joakim

 / Joakim Hove  / address@hidden  /  (55 5) 84076       |                 \
 | Unifob AS, Avdeling for Beregningsvitenskap (BCCS) | Stabburveien 18 |
 | CMU                                                | 5231 Paradis    |
 \ Thormøhlensgt.55, 5020 Bergen.                     | 55 91 28 18     /