grub2's binary is detecting as 'Malformed security header' by efitools

From: Haruki TSURUMOTO
Subject: grub2's binary is detecting as 'Malformed security header' by efitools
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 18:03:05 +0900

Hi, I am a engineer trying Secure Boot reviews.

I have a question for grub2's binary.

We need to add previous grub2's PE hash value to "vendor_dbx.esl" (it will be emmbed our shim) to passing Secure Boot review clauses.

We had tried to generate dbx file by efitools( https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jejb/efitools.git ) hash-to-efi-sig-list(1)
however, we encountered such below error.

"Failed to get hash of grubx64.efi: 2"

We researched details of error reason, grub2 binary is detecting as 'Malformed security header' by efitools.
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jejb/efitools.git/tree/lib/pecoff.c#n120

This is objdump's output.
--
$ objdump -x ./grubx64.efi | grep -E '(SizeOfImage|Security Directory)'
SizeOfImage        0026b000

Also this error is reproducible in very famous distirubtion.
(e.g. Debian, Ubuntu, and Fedora)

Anyone knows is this a efitool's bug?, or are we using the wrong tools?

--
Haruki TSURUMOTO