GRUB2 PXE chainloading and EFI handles

From: kitzman
Subject: GRUB2 PXE chainloading and EFI handles
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 09:37:13 +0200

Dear all,

I'm here to ask for some help - I'm not an EFI expert so brace yourselves.

I have the following situation: I PXE boot EFI GRUB2, which has menu entries for some operating systems. One of the operating systems requires chainloading - only the loaded bootloader knows how to load the kernel
and the configuration (9front).

My problem is that: once GRUB2 chainloads, and the second bootloader is running, some EFI handles are not there. The second bootloader, on startup, checks if it should/can PXE, ISO or local disk boot. The PXE check is done by looking up some EFI handles for the PXE protocol, and such handles also allow it to use the network - but they are not found, and it falls back to local disk boot.

Is there a way to leave the handles there? Maybe it's not GRUB2 deciding if those handles should be there anymore? Maybe I'm assuming that's the problem? I don't know.

Kind regards,
kitzman