GRUB2 PXE chainloading and EFI handles

From: kitzman
Subject: GRUB2 PXE chainloading and EFI handles
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 13:24:40 +0200

Dear all,

I'm here to ask for some help - I'm not an EFI expert so brace yourselves.

I have the following situation: I PXE boot EFI GRUB2, which has menu entries for some operating systems. One of the operating systems requires chainloading its bootloader. That bootloader checks if it should/can boot from PXE, ISO, or local disk (in this order). The way the PXE check is done, is that it loads EFI handles related to PXE, and, if it can, it initiates a PXE boot (which uses other EFI handles, for networking).

My problem is that: once GRUB2 chainloads, and the second bootloader is running, some EFI handles
are not there. So it falls back to local disk boot.

Is there a way to tell GRUB to leave the handles there as if it's a regular PXE boot? Maybe it's not GRUB2
deciding if those handles should be there anymore? I don't know.

Kind regards,
kitzman