Problem with vmnext and grub2.12

From: Mathias Radtke
Subject: Problem with vmnext and grub2.12
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 10:55:05 +0000

Hi
Some of our vSphere VMs are using vmnext3 network cards.
Grub2.12 is downloaded via TFTP onto the VMs. An embedded grub.cfg downloads a
grub.cfg placed on a TFTP server.
However since Grub 2.12 this doesn't work anymore.

When executing the embeeded cfg the cursor stalls for a couple of seconds and
returns to a grub shell.
Using debug=all I see a lot of malloc calls and:
kern/verifiers.c:212:verify:stringconfigfile (tftp,192.168.1.1)/path/grub.cfg,
type: 2

On the server side we do not see any TFTP requests.

Switching to an E1000e or UEFI Mode fixes the issue and the embedded cfg
succeeds in getting the requested file.
But switching to E1000e gives other issues sometimes in the OS, so staying at
vmnext would be greatly appreciated.

Grub 2.06 works fine with vmnext3 in the same VM configuration.

Any suggestion/idea where this might come from?

Mathias Radtke
Software Developer

uib GmbH
Bonifaziusplatz 1B
55118 Mainz

E-Mail: m.radtke@uib.de <mailto:m.radtke@uib.de>
Telefon: +49 6131 27561 0

https://uib.de
https://opsi.org

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Mainz
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Mainz HRB 6942
Geschäftsführer: Erol Ülükmen
USt-IdNr.: DE 203 394 450

Save the Date: opsiConf in Mainz am 09. & 10. Juli 2024!
Die Voranmeldung ist bereits eröffnet. opsi.org/opsiconf/