lmvid not found

From: Eduardo Suarez
Subject: lmvid not found
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 16:05:05 +0000

Hi,

I recently moved my disks to a new computer and I'd like to avoid legacy CSM
and boot from UEFI. So far I can boot fine with CSM enabled.

My setup is:
sda -> GPT
├─sda1              95,4M  part  /boot/efi
├─sda2                 4M  part  BIOS boot partition
├─sda3             166,7G  part
│ ├─vgssd-slash       35G  lvm   /
│ ├─vgssd-var      116,7G  lvm   /var
│ └─vgssd-usrlocal    15G  lvm   /usr/local
├─sda4                 2G  part  [SWAP]
└─sda5              54,8G  part  (not important)
sdb... (data, not important)

I install grub like this

# grub-install --verbose --target=x86_64-efi

with GRUB_PRELOAD_MODULES="lvm ext2 part_gpt", and it creates and 'efi' file in
a subdirectory in /boot/efi/EFI/ as expected.

Then I reboot, get into the BIOS setup, select the option to boot, disable CSM
and try to boot from the grub efi image.

However, what I get is:

error: disk `lvmid/yc9Fs5-...(long string)...-rF8WbQ' not found.
Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue>

The lvmid tag refers to the root partition (vgssd-slash). From there I have a
reduced shell where I only see (hd0) and (hd1) with no partitions.

I have tried different options like trying to set up a device.map file or
adding the 'lvm' module like this:

grub-install --verbose --target=x86_64-efi --modules="part_gpt part_msdos lvm"

and the error turns into:

Unknown command 'search.fs_uuid'.
error: unknown filesystem.
Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue>

However, I can't see any 'search.fs_uuid' in the grub.cfg file. Adding the
'search_fs_uuid' module does not solve it.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance
-Eduardo