Re: Handle errors when booting

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Handle errors when booting
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 14:26:12 +0300

On Mon, Jan 29, 2024 at 2:15 PM Mathias Radtke <m.radtke@uib.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I currently have a little headache with an issue.
> I have a device that gets the following part of grub.cfg
>

>     search --no-floppy --file --set=bootable_efi
> /EFI/MICROSOFT/BOOT/BOOTMGFW.EFI
>
>     if [ -n "${bootable_efi}" ]; then
>
>         menuentry "Local Disk" --class unknown {
>
>             set root="${bootable_efi}"
>
>             chainloader /EFI/MICROSOFT/BOOT/BOOTMGFW.EFI
>
>             boot
>
>         }
>
> This leads to an error "error: loader/efi/chainloader.c:733not a valid root
> device."

Upstream efi/chainloader.c does not have 733 lines nor does it care
about $root at all. You are probably using vendor patched grub, in
which case you better direct this question to your vendor support
channels.

> Is there any way to kind of work around that error and run an "exit" command
> if an error occours?

What is the exit code of chainloader command? If it is non-zero, you
can check for it and do something else instead of boot.