Re: Loading multiboot failed

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Loading multiboot failed
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 21:12:00 +0300

On 25.01.2024 18:57, Markbiophysicist wrote:
Hello,

Already from the Kali installer itself I have had problems with dual boot.
The problem is that the other previously installed operating system does
not recognize me. (Windows 10).

Do you mean that Windows is not offered in GRUB menu? Because Windows most certainly is not expected to recognize Linux.

I have modified the /etc/default/grub file to enable the following
configuration key:
GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER="false"

I have done some testing by modifying the /etc/grub.d/40-custom file and
adding custom entries and then running 'sudo update-grub' and testing the
results. None have been successful.

"It does not work" is not very useful. Explain what you did, what were the results (what was on the screen, what errors, what happened etc).

The last attempt gave me the following error:
invalid signature

Well, EFI binary does not have standard boot sector signature expected by legacy BIOS GRUB.

Please, I would appreciate it if you could tell me if there is any way to
solve it or if there is a configuration error.

The output of the bootinfo analysis script is as follows:

                  Boot Info Script 0.78      [09 October 2019]

============================= Boot Info Summary:
===============================

  => No boot loader is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda.
  => Grub2 (v2.00) is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdb and looks at sector
     3051722792 of the same hard drive for core.img. core.img is at this
     location and looks for (,gpt3)/boot/grub. It also embeds following
     components:

     modules

     fshelp ext2 part_gpt biosdisk

sda1:

     File system:       vfat
     Boot sector type:  Windows 8/2012: FAT32
     Boot sector info:  No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
     Operating System:
     Boot files:        /efi/Boot/bootx64.efi /efi/kali/grubx64.efi
                        /efi/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
                        /efi/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgr.efi
                        /efi/Microsoft/Boot/memtest.efi

sda2:

     File system:
     Boot sector type:  -
     Boot sector info:

sda3:

     File system:       ntfs
     Boot sector type:  Windows 8/2012: NTFS
     Boot sector info:  No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
     Operating System:
     Boot files:        /Windows/System32/winload.exe

sda4:

     File system:       ntfs
     Boot sector type:  Windows 8/2012: NTFS
     Boot sector info:  No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
     Operating System:
     Boot files:

sdb1:

     File system:       ntfs
     Boot sector type:  Windows 8/2012: NTFS
     Boot sector info:  No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
     Operating System:
     Boot files:

sdb2:

     File system:       swap
     Boot sector type:  -
     Boot sector info:

sdb3:

     File system:       ext4
     Boot sector type:  -
     Boot sector info:
     Operating System:  Kali GNU/Linux Rolling
     Boot files:        /boot/grub/grub.cfg /etc/fstab
                        /boot/grub/i386-pc/core.img

sdb4:

     File system:       ntfs
     Boot sector type:  Unknown
     Boot sector info:  No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
     Operating System:
     Boot files:

Apparently Windows is installed for UEFI boot and Linux is installed for legacy boot. os-prober will only check for the matching Windows installation - if Linux is booted in legacy mode, it will not look for Windows in UEFI mode.

menuentry "Windows 10" {
set root='(hd1,1)'
insmod part_gpt
insmod fat
insmod chain
chainloader /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgr.efi
}

You cannot chainload EFI binary when booted in legacy BIOS mode.