Re: Uniquely Identifying USB filesystem possible?

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Uniquely Identifying USB filesystem possible?
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 17:28:29 +0300

On Tue, Jan 16, 2024 at 5:13 PM Harry Hirte <harry.hirte@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to read data from a USB-Stick when booting from grubx64.efi
> This basically only works if I specify the device as (hd0).

You specify it as (hd0) *where*?

> I am looking for a possibility to uniquely identify the USB-stick.
> I build my grubx64.efi using
>
> grub-mkimage ... -c <file> -o ... luks2 part_gpt cryptodisk ...
> search_fs_uuid usb
>
> with the contents of <file>:
>
> insmod usb
> insmod search_fs_uuid
> set crypto_uuid=abb...-x-x-x
> search.fs_uuid 24cc...-x-x-x  keyfile
> cryptomount -k ($keyfile)0+ -O xxx -S yyy -u $crypto_uuid

Do you really have the file with the name "0+" on this filesystem?
What type does this filesystem have?

> set root=lvm/vg0-root
> set prefix=(lvm/vg0-boot)/grub
> insmod normal
> normal

And what happens when these commands are run?

> the USB-stick is configured as luks-device with the UUID 24cc...

it is absolutely unclear what it means. If it is a LUKS device, you
need to open it first. If it is not a LUKS device, where exactly this
UUID is defined?

> As mentioned, this does not work - even using cryptomount with this UUID
> fails.

So it is probably *not* a LUKS device.

> Is there any other way to get a uniqe identification for a filesystem on a
> USB-stick?

You can start with describing the content of this USB stick. So far it
is rather hard to understand what you use. Showing the commands that
*do* work may be of some help. Showing the commands you use to create
this USB stick would help further.