Re: Is there a way to get the architecture of the machine just booted up

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Is there a way to get the architecture of the machine just booted up by GRUB2: [32|64]-[amd|arm]? ...
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 15:56:12 +0300

On 17.12.2023 14:08, Albretch Mueller wrote:
On 12/17/23, Pascal Hambourg <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org> wrote:
On 17/12/2023 à 10:21, Albretch Mueller wrote:
   Imagine a multiboot environment started by a LIVE DVD which contains
the iso for various architectures if GRUB2 had a way to discern the
architecture, it would then pick the correct iso and get it from
there.

If the media can boot on various architectures, it must contain GRUB
instances for all supported architectures. and the GRUB instance
matching the firmware architecture will be booted.

  To make sure that we are on the same page and I totally understand you.

  Say I burn a DVD with the debian bootable iso (the live DVD) for
amd64, arm64 and 64-bit risc-v processors, will GRUB2 automatically
detect the architecture and pick the file?, or, as I suspect, you will
have to cook some configuration file?

Now explain, how grub compiled for rsic-v is going to run on amd64 to decide anything.

It is up to the firmware to select the correct boot image that this firmware expects.

  Any examples or leading information about such GRUB2, multi-boot off
a live DVD "prior art", "trodden path ways"?

  lbrtchx