Re: Is there a way to get the architecture of the machine just booted up

From: Albretch Mueller
Subject: Re: Is there a way to get the architecture of the machine just booted up by GRUB2: [32|64]-[amd|arm]? ...
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 11:08:36 +0000

On 12/17/23, Pascal Hambourg <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org> wrote:
> On 17/12/2023 à 10:21, Albretch Mueller wrote:
>>   Imagine a multiboot environment started by a LIVE DVD which contains
>> the iso for various architectures if GRUB2 had a way to discern the
>> architecture, it would then pick the correct iso and get it from
>> there.
>
> If the media can boot on various architectures, it must contain GRUB
> instances for all supported architectures. and the GRUB instance
> matching the firmware architecture will be booted.

 To make sure that we are on the same page and I totally understand you.

 Say I burn a DVD with the debian bootable iso (the live DVD) for
amd64, arm64 and 64-bit risc-v processors, will GRUB2 automatically
detect the architecture and pick the file?, or, as I suspect, you will
have to cook some configuration file?

 Any examples or leading information about such GRUB2, multi-boot off
a live DVD "prior art", "trodden path ways"?

 lbrtchx