Verify the signature of OSes (for SB)

From: Federico Angelilli
Subject: Verify the signature of OSes (for SB)
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 23:25:10 +0100

Hello,
A few months ago I decided to turn on secure boot on my dual os desktop, mainly due to some SB related shenanigans in Windows 11. After a (fairly long) session of trial and error, I finally got everything to work like this: 1) Whenever my kernel is built (I'm using a custom kernel) sign it with the right SB key
2) When updating grub, sign it with the SB key as well

Everything now works: I can boot with SB enabled to grub, then I can either choose to use the linux signed kernel or the windows chainloader. Except for a small detail: I can boot even from the unsigned kernels. While I first thought of it as an error on my configuration, I turned out to be a shortcoming in grub itself (as far as I understand), that simply cannot verify sb signatures on its own.

So, how can I set up grub in a way that I can:
1) boot with secure boot enable to the grub menu
2) only boot from entries that are signed themselves

Thanks,
Federico