Re: Halt after writing "GRUB "

From: Pascal Hambourg
Subject: Re: Halt after writing "GRUB "
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 23:29:49 +0200

On 27/10/2023 at 19:59, alex_holzer@posteo.at wrote:

suddenly my Gentoo box does not boot any more. It halts after Grub
(grub-2.06-r9) wrote "GRUB ". Capslock and Numlock still work.

I booted from a rescue stick and chrooted into the system. I manually
ran grub-install to the SSD and grub-mkconfig to the boot partition without
success.

Does grub need busybox?

No.

What is wrong or what is missing when the box  halts after writing "GRUB "?

"GRUB " is written by GRUB boot image, usually located in the MBR. Then it should load GRUB core image which should write "loading". The core image is usually located in sectors next to the MBR in MSDOS scheme MBR or in a dedicated BIOS boot partition on GPT scheme. It can also be located in a plain file /boot/grub/i386-pc/core.img but this is discouraged because using block lists with a file is unreliable.

How can I get my box boot again?

You can run bootinfoscript and check if GRUB is properly installed.