Re: Chainloading an MS Windows installer DVD

From: Philip Couling
Subject: Re: Chainloading an MS Windows installer DVD
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 21:17:34 +0100

Hopefully it should not matter what the media is. It's a USB, but I've
confirmed that grub is reading from it : I can "ls" the files on it and
find the EFI binary that way.

I guess I'm looking for a little more info on what chainloader does. My
firmware cannot read the image; I believe that is because of the UDF
filesystem. However grub can. I'm a little unclear on whether the
chainloader somehow asks the firmware to load the EFI binary or runs it
itself. Otherwise I don't know why grub can see this file (ls the file) but
not run it.