grub-mkstandalone not adding public key

From: Philip Couling
Subject: grub-mkstandalone not adding public key
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 15:58:51 +0100

I'm having trouble getting grub-mkstandalone to recognise the public key
passed in via --pubkey

According to the documentation, adding --pubkey to grub-mkimage should
imply check_signatures=enforce but this doesn't seem to happen for
grub-mkstandalone. (or does it?).

The documentation doesn't mention what format the public key file should
be.  So I've tried both gpg --export and and gpg --export --armor.  However
when I try the command "list_trusted", I get no results and attempting to
cat a signed file results in an error saying the public key could not be
found.

I'm currently invoking with:

grub-mkstandalone --output=../build/grub/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI
--format=x86_64-efi --pubkey=../artefacts/grub.pgp
boot/grub/grub.cfg=./grub.cfg

Any suggestions on what I'm missing?