Re: BIOS_grub GUID signature within an EFI partition?

From: Bret Busby
Subject: Re: BIOS_grub GUID signature within an EFI partition?
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 02:35:34 +0800

On 13/9/23 15:15, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
On Wed, Sep 13, 2023 at 9:53 AM Goh Lip <g.lip@gmx.com> wrote:
You cannot
mix efi and legacy install in the same disk

You most certainly can as long as you have some way to select the boot
method. You cannot use the same partition both as ESP and BIOS_grub,
that's true.

For more than ten years, I had Ubuntu Linux installed on a HDD with MS Windows 8; Windows 8 used UEFI, and when I originally installed Ubuntu Linux (after Debian Linux, which coexisted on the computer, for a number of years) - I had three versions of Ubuntu Linux installed, at one stage, it was installed using (as Ubuntu 12.04 only allowed installation using) Legacy BIOS.

From what I understand, Ubuntu Linux has been able to be installed (at least, up until 22.04) using Legacy BIOS, although, a time came, when Ubuntu Linux (and, Linux Mint does it) installs by default, via UEFI.

When Legacy BIOS is used for installing Linux, it was done by entering the BIOS, switching off the malignant Secure Boot, and, choosing Legacy BIOS over UEFI, in the BIOS options.

Then, when Linux versions were installed, using Legacy BIOS, the GRUB boot options listed the Linux variant options, into which, to boot directly, and, the Windows Bootloader option.

This was all, on each of my computers, on a single hard drive (in each computer) upon which operating systems were installed; the primary HDD (for each computer).

I have not installed operating systems across more than one HDD (I use HDD, for what is/was regarded as a "hard drive" - on my latest computer, the primary "hard drive" storage (I can't remember the proper term for the static storage, that is not RAM or BIOS - it is too many years since I did computer hardware courses, for me to remember all of the terminology), is an NVVME (?) thingy - an SSD thingy, that is on a computer card that goes in a slot, and, whilst the computer does have a hard disk drive, it is not the primary "hard drive").

But, I have been installing operating systems, using Legacy BIOS, on computers that have had MS Windows 8 and later (MS Windows 8, from memory, was the first MS Windows version, to use UEFI and, the malignant "Secure Boot"), and, so, installing using legacy BIOS, on systems that had default UEFI booting, for more than ten years, now.

So, Legacy BIOS can be used to install operating systems, on the same "hard drive", that has a UEFI installed operating system, and, that has an EFI partition.

That is, on computers that have Legacy BIOS available.

With the destruction of computing, that has been caused by computer manufacturers, it is difficult to know whether Legacy BIOS is available on new computers (that have been deliberately made only partially functional, by the computer manufacturers, which is why it is no longer a good idea, to buy a new computer - more functional computers than new computers, can be found at rubbish tips).

..
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia