Re: BIOS_grub GUID signature within an EFI partition?

From: Pascal Hambourg
Subject: Re: BIOS_grub GUID signature within an EFI partition?
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 19:42:23 +0200

On 13/09/2023 at 14:22, Goh Lip wrote:

On 13/09/2023 18:01, Pascal Hambourg wrote:

Yes. BIOS-GRUB in the MBR and the BIOS boot partition, EFI-GRUB in the
EFI system partition.

Yes, this can be done. But how do we boot in one instance in UEFI and
then in another in bios-legacy?

Do we need to go to computer bios-setup each time to boot?

Or use the computer boot menu.

A caveat is that some broken BIOS/UEFI firmware require that a MBR
partition entry has the boot flag set for BIOS boot, and/or the
protective GPT partition entry does not have the boot flag set for EFI
boot (so parted disk_flag pmbr_boot won't work). My usual workaround is
to set the boot flag on an empty MBR partition entry with sfdisk, but it
is ugly and fragile because partitioning tools often remove it.

In my previous system, I set boot flags in *all* my efi partitions. Now
I set flag to just my own dedicated (grub) efi partition that sort of
chainload into say my systemd-boot or refind boots.

What "boot flag" are you talking about ?
The boot flag in DOS/MBR partition entries (meaning you don't use GPT) ?
The legacy_boot flag in GPT partition entries ?
Parted's "boot" flag which represents the ESP type in GPT partition entries ?

The first two are irrelevant for EFI boot.
AFAIK, legacy_boot is used only by syslinux gptmbr boot loader.