grub-mkrescue vs grub-mkstandalone.

From: Hongyi Zhao
Subject: grub-mkrescue vs grub-mkstandalone.
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 07:04:09 +0800

Hi here,

I have some puzzles on the difference between grub-mkrescue and
grub-mkstandalone, more specifically, I would like to know the
following things:

1. Currently, I'm using the following command to make a standalone EFI
bootloader:

$ grub-mkstandalone -O x86_64-efi -o grubx64.efi --modules='lvm fat
ntfs part_msdos part_gpt ext2 btrfs probe regexp search configfile'
boot/grub/grub.cfg=./boot/grub/grub.cfg

Can I use the grub-mkrescue to achieve the same goal?

2. In the above command, if I use all available modules as the value
of --modules, as shown below:

$ grub-mkstandalone -O x86_64-efi -o grubx64.efi --modules='time
gcry_blowfish reiserfs f2fs test password_pbkdf2 gcry_crc
usbserial_common part_dvh tr ufs1_be mdraid09 hello gcry_cast5
part_apple search lsefisystab cbmemc part_acorn gcry_sha512
gcry_whirlpool squash4 serial afsplitter gettext cmp uhci parttool zfs
exfat iorw zstd bsd mmap loadbios hexdump usbms xfs raid6rec msdospart
http normal gptsync cat syslinuxcfg part_bsd macbless priority_queue
part_sunpc diskfilter gcry_serpent trig sleep_test cmdline_cat_test
hfspluscomp elf exfctest pbkdf2_test lsefimmap help terminfo fat affs
keystatus chain luks strtoull_test gcry_rsa zfscrypt mdraid1x random
backtrace linux16 cbls gcry_arcfour password mdraid09_be json
video_colors efinet procfs memdisk ufs1 tpm appleldr multiboot2
fixvideo tftp minix lsmmap udf minix3 minix_be mpi btrfs search_label
bitmap_scale lsefi videoinfo bitmap iso9660 geli gcry_tiger nilfs2
ntfs file cbtime eval gcry_idea ohci lssal gcry_md4 gzio blocklist
pcidump ext2 part_plan cryptodisk test_blockarg usb_keyboard tar wrmsr
ufs2 setpci cpio search_fs_file morse minix2 memrw zfsinfo video_fb
efi_uga part_amiga datehook legacy_password_test read jfs lvm lspci
setjmp_test cmp_test bufio efifwsetup hfs cpio_be gcry_rfc2268
gcry_sha256 lsacpi nativedisk shift_test gcry_sha1 gcry_seed cpuid net
keylayouts gfxterm_background play gcry_dsa usbserial_pl2303 ahci
extcmd part_sun div gcry_rijndael multiboot efi_gop reboot video_bochs
xnu_uuid_test ehci gcry_des crc64 search_fs_uuid mul_test progress
part_msdos regexp date hashsum gfxterm_menu rdmsr usbserial_ftdi ldm
dm_nv usbtest boot cbfs xnu_uuid aout relocator jpeg crypto archelp
acpi png testspeed videotest_checksum gcry_camellia usb testload
bswap_test sfs smbios ntfscomp afs fshelp at_keyboard minix2_be
gfxmenu adler32 part_gpt loadenv ctz_test div_test gfxterm minicmd pgp
legacycfg bfs linux spkmodem minix3_be loopback macho video_cirrus
cbtable romfs true terminal usbserial_usbdebug lzopio gcry_twofish
xzio datetime newc offsetio part_dfly sleep xnu all_video gcry_md5
echo scsi ata cs5536 hdparm raid5rec gcry_rmd160 videotest pbkdf2
signature_test ls pata font probe halt luks2 odc functional_test
hfsplus video configfile setjmp tga disk'
boot/grub/grub.cfg=./boot/grub/grub.cfg

But the EFI file generated this way will freeze when I try to load it.
Any more hints for this problem?

3. Can I achieve the same goal with grub-mkrescue to create an EFI
file as done by grub-mkstandalone?

Regards,
Zhao
--