Re: Valid grub.conf locations

From: Ulrich Sibiller
Subject: Re: Valid grub.conf locations
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 11:08:01 +0200

On Tue, Jun 20, 2023 at 2:18 PM Andrei Borzenkov <arvidjaar@gmail.com> wrote:
> RH grub unconditionally loads grub.cfg from $cmdpath (which they renamed
> to fw_path) without any way to override this behavior. I hesitate to
> call this improvement.

Well, I cannot judge here. From my POV it looks reasonable to do so
because you can then use the same efi file regardless of the boot
method. The override should be added, though. YMMV.

> > (This brings up one question which somebody might know the answer: the
> > Centos7 version of grub has 486 patches. I am wondering why these
> > patches never made it to upstream. Is there simply lack of manpower?
> > Have these patches never reached upstream? Have they been rejected?)

Do you know anything about this?

> >> grub-mkimage -p ""
> >
> > I have not seen any documentation that this counts as "unset" and will
> > lead to different behaviour.
>
> You are welcome to improve documentation.

Simply said: I don't know enough of this stuff... That's why I started
this question..

Uli