Re: Valid grub.conf locations

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Valid grub.conf locations
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 15:18:32 +0300

On 20.06.2023 12:39, Ulrich Sibiller wrote:
On Tue, Jun 20, 2023 at 8:19 AM Andrei Borzenkov <arvidjaar@gmail.com> wrote:
Well, first let me say that the CentOS version has it also hardcoded and
loads the grub.conf anyway (from fw_path, I suppose).

You are posting to upstream list, not to CentOS list.

Of course. I just want to illustrate that it's possible in principle.

RH grub unconditionally loads grub.cfg from $cmdpath (which they renamed to fw_path) without any way to override this behavior. I hesitate to call this improvement.

(This brings up one question which somebody might know the answer: the
Centos7 version of grub has 486 patches. I am wondering why these
patches never made it to upstream. Is there simply lack of manpower?
Have these patches never reached upstream? Have they been rejected?)

Second grub-mkimage
requires the prefix to be set, that's where it is 'hardcoded'. You cannot
run it without specifying -p. So how can I _not_ set it?

grub-mkimage -p ""

I have not seen any documentation that this counts as "unset" and will
lead to different behaviour.

You are welcome to improve documentation.