Re: [EXT]Re: Converted MBR to GPT and menu is gone, can't use grub-reboo

From: Chandler
Subject: Re: [EXT]Re: Converted MBR to GPT and menu is gone, can't use grub-reboot either
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 08:33:44 -0700

Pascal Hambourg wrote on 2/21/23 4:42 AM:
> Can you increase GRUB_TIMEOUT and update grub.cfg and check whether the
> delay at boot time changes accordingly ? Or check if the load kernel
> message is displayed right away after pressing <Enter> ?
Sure np, I increased it to 20 seconds.  After the BIOS has loaded and I
see the blank screen with blinking cursor, pushing <Enter> doesn't do
anything, but it definitely sits there for longer, about 27 seconds
actually until I see kernel messages.

I set the TIMEOUT back to 5 and I see the blank screen for about 12
seconds before seeing kernel messages.  I think you're on to something!
It tells us the menu is showing /somewhere/ just not on any screen we
can interact with.

> If yes, can you try other resolutions in GRUB_GFXMODE or even text mode
> (GRUB_TERMINAL=console) ?
Since I am mainly using the Serial Over Lan, and rarely the Java or
HTML5 iKVM, and even less the VGA port, GRUB_TERMINAL=console will
hopefully take care of this... but not yet, still blank.  Let me see if
the iKVM's show anything different...

Well the HTML5 iKVM is even worse in that it seems to stop refreshing
the screen while the POST completes.  I still see one of the last POST
codes stuck on the screen... then about 30 seconds go by and the window
finally refreshes and I see just a split second of the end of the kernel
boot messages and then those are cleared and I see a login prompt on tty1.

The Java iKVM behaves the same way unfortunately.  There's also an
option here in the BMC to launch the SOL, never tried it, let's see how
that goes... it's another java applet, connected to ttyS1.  It's display
is pretty much the same as the SSH SOL I usually use, still no grub menu
though :(

> it does not matter that it is not aligned.
> No.
> No. A dedicated BIOS boot partition is mandatory for BIOS boot on GPT if
> /boot is not in a plain partition (e.g. in LVM or RAID), and recommended
> because more reliable than blocklists in other cases.
Awesome, thanks for your insights.  but, any other ideas? ;)