Re: Converted MBR to GPT and menu is gone, can't use grub-reboot either

From: Pascal Hambourg
Subject: Re: Converted MBR to GPT and menu is gone, can't use grub-reboot either
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 12:42:12 +0100

On 21/02/2023 at 12:16, Chandler wrote:
Pascal Hambourg wrote on 2/20/23 8:48 AM:
Ok I ran `grub-install --verbose /dev/sda` and `grub-install --verbose
/dev/sdb` and tried rebooting, still can't see anything.

TBH I did not expect any improvement.

After the BIOS
finishes loading, then I see a blinking cursor for 5 or so seconds,
probably while the menu is counting down, then I start to see the kernel
boot messages.

Can you increase GRUB_TIMEOUT and update grub.cfg and check whether the delay at boot time changes accordingly ? Or check if the load kernel message is displayed right away after pressing <Enter> ?

If yes, can you try other resolutions in GRUB_GFXMODE or even text mode (GRUB_TERMINAL=console) ?

the "Partition 3 does not start on physical sector boundary" message
doesn't make sense because I'm fairly sure I used `parted` to check if
the partition was aligned.

If partition 3 is the BIOS boot partition, it does not matter that it is not aligned.

and maybe the "Partition table entries are not in disk order" is also
interfering somehow?

No.

I'm not sure why that guide had me make this "BIOS boot" partition if I
could just stop at step 5 without UEFI anyway so maybe that could be the
problem?

No. A dedicated BIOS boot partition is mandatory for BIOS boot on GPT if /boot is not in a plain partition (e.g. in LVM or RAID), and recommended because more reliable than blocklists in other cases.