grub-mkimage

From: Pascal
Subject: grub-mkimage
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 15:53:33 +0100

hi,
I use grub successfully to boot my removable "UEFI only" roaming live
system.
I use grub-mkimage as follows to generate the EFI executable :

cat > /tmp/cfg <<< "normal /efi/menu.cfg"

grub-mkimage  \
  --disable-shim-lock  \
  -p "(,gpt2)/efi/boot/"  \
  -o /run/live/bootmnt/efi/boot/bootx64.efi  \
  -O x86_64-efi  \
  -c /tmp/cfg  \
  linux normal minicmd gzio efi_uga efi_gop fat part_gpt chain

cat > /run/live/bootmnt/efi/menu.cfg <<~~~~
insmod linux normal minicmd gzio efi_uga efi_gop fat part_gpt
menuentry "My Live Linux" {
        linux …
        initrd …
}
~~~~

the executable being really minimal, I can't do much with it when I
encounter a boot problem.
so, I set up another EFI executable next to it, this time with all the
available modules :

mods=$( ls -1 /usr/lib/grub/x86_64-efi/*.mod | sed -e
's;/usr/lib/grub/x86_64-efi/;;g' -e 's/\.mod$//g' | tr '\n' ' ' )

echo $mods
acpi adler32 affs afs afsplitter ahci all_video aout appleldr archelp
at_keyboard ata backtrace bfs bitmap bitmap_scale blocklist boot boottime
bsd bswap_test btrfs bufio cacheinfo cat cbfs cbls cbmemc cbtable cbtime
chain cmdline_cat_test cmp cmp_test configfile cpio cpio_be cpuid crc64
crypto cryptodisk cs5536 ctz_test date datehook datetime disk diskfilter
div div_test dm_nv echo efi_gop efi_uga efifwsetup efinet ehci elf eval
exfat exfctest ext2 extcmd f2fs fat file fixvideo font fshelp
functional_test gcry_arcfour gcry_blowfish gcry_camellia gcry_cast5
gcry_crc gcry_des gcry_dsa gcry_idea gcry_md4 gcry_md5 gcry_rfc2268
gcry_rijndael gcry_rmd160 gcry_rsa gcry_seed gcry_serpent gcry_sha1
gcry_sha256 gcry_sha512 gcry_tiger gcry_twofish gcry_whirlpool geli gettext
gfxmenu gfxterm gfxterm_background gfxterm_menu gptsync gzio halt hashsum
hdparm hello help hexdump hfs hfsplus hfspluscomp http iorw iso9660 jfs
jpeg json keylayouts keystatus ldm legacy_password_test legacycfg linux
linux16 loadbios loadenv loopback ls lsacpi lsefi lsefimmap lsefisystab
lsmmap lspci lssal luks luks2 lvm lzopio macbless macho mdraid09
mdraid09_be mdraid1x memdisk memrw minicmd minix minix2 minix2_be minix3
minix3_be minix_be mmap morse mpi msdospart mul_test multiboot multiboot2
nativedisk net newc nilfs2 normal ntfs ntfscomp odc offsetio ohci
part_acorn part_amiga part_apple part_bsd part_dfly part_dvh part_gpt
part_msdos part_plan part_sun part_sunpc parttool password password_pbkdf2
pata pbkdf2 pbkdf2_test pcidump pgp play png priority_queue probe procfs
progress raid5rec raid6rec random rdmsr read reboot regexp reiserfs
relocator romfs scsi search search_fs_file search_fs_uuid search_label
serial setjmp setjmp_test setpci sfs shift_test signature_test sleep
sleep_test smbios spkmodem squash4 strtoull_test syslinuxcfg tar terminal
terminfo test test_blockarg testload testspeed tftp tga time tpm tr trig
true udf ufs1 ufs1_be ufs2 uhci usb usb_keyboard usbms usbserial_common
usbserial_ftdi usbserial_pl2303 usbserial_usbdebug usbtest video
video_bochs video_cirrus video_colors video_fb videoinfo videotest
videotest_checksum wrmsr xfs xnu xnu_uuid xnu_uuid_test xzio zfs zfscrypt
zfsinfo zstd

grub-mkimage  \
  --disable-shim-lock  \
  -p "(,gpt2)/efi/boot"  \
  -o /run/live/bootmnt/efi/boot/helpx64.efi  \
  -O x86_64-efi  \
  -c /tmp/cfg  \
  $mods

however, when I choose to boot this one, I get the following error :

error: disk `,gpt2' not found.
error: you need to load the kernel first.

does anyone know why the *minimal* is fully functional while the *maximal*
refuses to consider (,gpt2)/efi/boot/ ?

regards, lacsaP.