Re: GRUB2 not able to read ext4/xfs file systems on 8 TB drive

From: Pascal Hambourg
Subject: Re: GRUB2 not able to read ext4/xfs file systems on 8 TB drive
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 11:46:10 +0200

Hello,

Le 20/04/2020 à 04:01, Niklas Hambüchen a écrit :

I'm writing to report that my GRUB2 (2.02 and 2.04) seems to have issues to
correctly read the single ext4 and XFS file systems with ~8 TB of size on an 8
TB hard drive.

It incorrectly shows some empty directories.

Details:

* Server: HP DL120 G7, 32 GB RAM hosted by Leaseweb
* Hard drives: 2x TOSHIBA MG05ACA8, firmware GX2A
* Partitioning scheme:
   * GPT partitions -> mdadm RAID1 -> LVM -> ext4
   * 1 MB BIOS boot partitions (sda1,sdb1), the RAID1 is over (sda2,sdb2)
   * mdadm metadata 1.2 (the current default)
(...)
When I do not make an 8 TB ext4/xfs file system, but use a small ext2 /boot
partition, then GRUB2 works fine.

What is going on here?

Should GRUB2 be able to read from a single 8 TB ext4/xfs file system? Is this a
bug?

By default GRUB uses firmware disk drivers which rely on the platform firmware (BIOS or UEFI) to access drives. Is the firmware able to address 8 TB capacity ? It has been reported that some BIOS firmwares cannot read sectors beyond 2 TiB.

You may test by switching from firmware disk drivers to GRUB native disk drivers with the "nativedisks" commands. Be aware that drive names change and (hdX) are not available any more, so any needed module must be loaded first.