help-gnu-arch

Re: [Help-gnu-arch] Checking In...

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Help-gnu-arch] Checking In...
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 09:57:24 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Paul Snively <address@hidden>

    > So do I take from the radio silence here that the suggestions for RFC
    > 1740 and ZeroConf aren't perceived as good?

They're a bit off the beaten track, at least.

Are you subscribed to gnu-arch-users?    I recall that you started
this thread wondering where a good place to jump in and make
improvements might be.   Lurking on that list for a while and using
arch to get a good feel for it might be the best place to start.

I can't really assert a definitive "No" to the abstract ideas of
supporting file systems with "exotic" structure or weird file types or
even alternative network configuration mechanisms.   In the very
abstract, those are all fine areas to consider.

One problem I've had with your approach is that you seem to have leapt
immediately to a solution mechanism without first establishing the
existence of specific problems that, if solved, would clearly make
arch a better tool.    And yes, you can always take the functionality
that the solution mechanisms you have in mind provide and assert "the
problem is that arch doesn't have that functionality" -- but that's
putting the cart before the horse.

-t