help-gnat

Re: [patch, docs] Standardize GCC manual title pages.

From: Brooks Moses
Subject: Re: [patch, docs] Standardize GCC manual title pages.
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 22:29:52 -0800

Joseph S. Myers wrote:
On Sun, 25 Feb 2007, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
For a change of this kind, I'd prefer Joseph to have a look as well,
so please give him a bit of time before checking this in.

(Joseph, http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2007-02/msg01863.html has
the original patch.)

This is OK with me. (While GNU Press considerations might influence title page layout, I think we should ignore such considerations for now unless and until they start working with the community to discuss their changes on gcc-patches and merge them as individual logical fixes rather than producing local forks and leaving merging megapatches to others.)

Committed to trunk, and to 4.2 after testing on i686-pc-linux-gnu.

In theory -- and I think in practice, even -- if someone wants to alter the title page layout, the easiest way to do that is now to redefine the @titlepage commands with some code in gcc-common.texi, rather than hardwiring it in the individual manuals, and they'll get the same results everywhere.

(Well, no, in practice they'll forget to test it on Ada and it will break the one Ada manual that has a two-line title. But the theory is sound.)

- Brooks