Re: [help-GIFT] Features Extraction

From: David Squire
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] Features Extraction
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 15:22:09 +0000

Epa Uwimana wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I installed gift on my machine and was able to add my collection and
> indexed them but I am running into some problems to extract features.
> Would someone tell me how I can extract features from a specific image
> using GIFT?

You can use the program gift-extract-features that is built and
installed when you install GIFT. It requires a 256x256 PPM image file as
a parameter on the command line. If your image file is, for example,
001.gif, you would do:

>convert -geometry 256x256 001.gif 001.ppm; gift-extract-features
001.ppm; rm 001.ppm

This will create a file 001.fts in the same directory, that includes the
extracted features.

> What would be steps to follow for anybody who wants to use GIFT to
indexing and features extraction only?

The gift-add-collection.pl program extracts features and builds the
index files for all the images in a directory. If you just want to
extract features and index using those GIFT components, that is what you
need to use, just as if you were going to use the gift query engine as well.

You will need to dig in the source code to understand the format of the
feature and index files.

> Any idea where I can find a new README?

There isn't one.

Regards,

David

--
Dr. David McG. Squire, Senior Lecturer. On sabbatical in 2006.
Caulfield School of Information Technology, Monash University, Australia