Re: [help-GIFT] Swallowed Mails... have to resend

From: risc
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] Swallowed Mails... have to resend
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 14:09:41 -0600

Wolfgang,

I've successfully reproduced the issue here, will get to work on it
immediately.

That said, I've generated 24 patches as a result of getting gift to
compile on my AMD64 debian unstable box.

Here are 19 of those patches (the other 5 have to do with embedded
perl ,and dont constitute a "complete fix".)

I dont concider all of these commit worthy, i'll say that to start
with. specifically, I tried and suceeded at fixing three problems:
64 bit specific linking errors,
64 bit errors in general, and
ability to build where top_builddir != top_srcdir.
(EG: ./bootstrap-cvs.sh && mkdir build && cd build && ../configure && make)

a lot of the builddir patches just go to show us where the include
path starts at top_srcdir. thats a deeper problem, i just included
top_srcdir, and dont concider that a "complete fix". it just happens
to work.

the linking problems boil down to "use .la objects to link to, not .a"

AND i'm not satisfied with my fix for the 64bit cast issue i showed
in an earlier mail: it works on 64 and 32, but.. feels Cish, not C++ish.

SO, david, wolfgang,

these patches are for your eyes. they're ugly. i dont like them, but
they make gift compile on my box. please show me a better way? :)

Julia Longtin <address@hidden>