Re: [help-gift]errors occured when I try to connect to gift

From: Wolfgang Müller
Subject: Re: [help-gift]errors occured when I try to connect to gift
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 09:07:48 +0200

Hi,

You don't actually read error messages, do you ;-) ?

Your image magick install seems to be far from perfect. How this happened, I
do not know. Anyway the convert calls from the indexer ALL fail. There are
plenty of warnings that this failed in the output of the indexer. The indexer
does not stop, however, because if you have one image whose convert call
fails you do not want a whole indexing run to die. However, I note that there
should be a more comprehensible summary of the type:

1000 feature extraction attempts
0 successful
100% failure

or something like that.

> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  0 2006-09-28 09:04 gift-auxiliary-1
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  0 2006-09-28 09:04 gift-auxiliary-2
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  0 2006-09-28 09:04 InvertedFile.db
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  0 2006-09-28 09:04 InvertedFileOffset.db
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 82 2006-09-28 09:04 url2fts.xml

So, you do not have a single byte in the indexing files. Makes it difficult to
find images based on the index.

> And I'm not sure gift server has started properly, in the attchment named
> " gift-started", you can find the output of the gift starting process.

I did not look at that. But usually the GIFT-server starts up properly. It
starts to complain the moment you try to use a collection that is badly
configured. Yours is, as it has not a single byte of useful indexing data.

The way to fix this is to make sure that convert works. This is not a GIFT
problem, this is a problem of Linux administration.

Thanks for your feedback, and please do not hesitate to ask more questions.

Dr. Wolfgang Müller
LS Medieninformatik
Universität Bamberg
Check out the SIG MM web site http://www.sigmm.org