Re: Client storing query state (was Re: [help-GIFT] Adding and removing

From: Kamil Wencel
Subject: Re: Client storing query state (was Re: [help-GIFT] Adding and removing images to/from gift)
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 16:25:49 +0200

David Squire schrieb:
Wolfgang Müller wrote:
- After getting a random set, I chose 3 images which i like, requery,
select 3 more images gift found I could like. Now there is nothing more
I like soi start "deselecting" the other 4 unwanted images, requeryand
get 4 new images. But when I requery again, gift brings back the 4
images i deselected before. After what I've seen this is not the gifts
fault as such, it's more of a workflow problem because gift obviously
doesn't know anymore what it server one request before. It would be nice
if gift itself could track in the session, which images are queried
wanted / unwanted and never show the unwanted in that session again. I
think it could improve accuracy.
Well, we discussed this a lot in /199./ and /200[01]/ and came up with the thought that we rather want to add features like that in the client than in the query processor. In fact, from a HCI point of view it seems to be a good idea for the client to make the IR client a gathering space.

My client
(http://viper.csse.monash.edu.au/~davids/cgi-bin/PerlMRMLClient/PerlMRMLClient.pl)
stores that state. I would be happy to give you a copy. Alternatively,
you could just point my copy at your server and port, and use it to
access your collection.

Hi David,

that is very kind of you. Unfortunately neither of both options is going to work for me because a) I want to seamlessly integrate a gift mrml client into my already existent stock-photo
plattform
b) That Plattform uses PHP and I don't want to use both perl and php because sooner or later the whole things becomes to complicated to be kept alive without much hassle.

Maybe someone else who is not bound to PHP or is able translate you perl solution into a customizable
php script can use it - so thank you anyway for sharing it.

What I've learned so far is this:

1. I have to create a new MRML client system from scratch which takes all user preferences into account and keeps track of all selected images ( wanted / unwanted ) before forming the "real" query for the gift.

2. In order to change the way images are matched I have to fiddle around with the settings of Classical IDF. I think I have to tweak the settings in gift-config, right ? But where exactly shall I begin ? Wolfgang, you said something about a "configuring and hacking the gift" guide as a starting point. Where can we find it ?

3. The image append function and more real-life based options for speed and convenience ( as listed by Jonas )
are not yet implented in gift-add-collection.pl