Re: [help-GIFT] Appending to a collection, merging collections, or just

From: Jonas Lindqvist
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] Appending to a collection, merging collections, or just "restoring" db-files
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 07:53:42 +0200

gift-add-collection.pl would need much more than just a --no-thumbs option to become perfect for MY very specific needs.

I would need a --no-reindex option to keep it from reextracting features if I have the fts files already. I would need a --append option to make it append to a collection instead of replacing the collection (as it does today). I would need a --no-image-paths option to make it not store the image paths in the url2fts.xml file, since I just need the image names to be presented by the gift server. I would need a --minimize-downtime option to first extract features, then recreate the url2fts.xml file into a tmp dir, then create the db and mrml files into a tmp directory, and then moving the finished files into the correct places (as atomically as possible) just before it restarts the gift server.

gift-add-collction.pl is a very useful tool to get started, and to try to follow what goes on in the indexing phase. A --no-thumbs option would probably be useful for many people, but the other options I would need is probably quite specific to what I feel I need. Also, I need to fit the indexing into a routine where I also handle keywords and other metadata, so I will need to write my own tools anyway.

But, I'll think about adding a --no-thumbnails option to gift-add- collction.pl. After all I haven't really contributed to this project yet, and I think it is about time I do.

I hope I will have some spare time to spend on the GIFT during this weekend.

/Jonas