Re: [help-GIFT] Files, their contents, their use, their format, etc

From: David Squire
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] Files, their contents, their use, their format, etc
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 23:09:48 +0100

Jonas Lindqvist wrote:
Hi!

If I look inside a "collection", I find a few different types of files:

InvertedFile.db
InvertedFileFeatureDescription.db
InvertedFileOffset.db
url2fts.xml

And heaps of:
*.fts
*.fts.ADI

Are the data files described (documented) anywhere besides the source code?
I'm interested in:
What process uses the files?
When are they used (at startup or continuously in runtime, etc)?
What information is stored in the different files?
What are the file formats of the files?

There's no secret documentation out there Jonas, it's in the source.
Here's my take on it (though Wolfgang's would be more reliable):

InvertedFileFeatureDescription.db maps feature numbers to feature group
numbers. InvertedFile.db is what it says it is, the inverted file that
is the basis of the indexing and retrieval. InvertedFileOffset.db tells
you how far you need to seek in InvertedFile.db to find the entry for a
particular feature. url2fts.xml maps image urls to the corresponding
feature (fts) files. I don't know what the ADI files are.

Regards,

David

--
Dr David McG. Squire, Senior Lecturer, on sabbatical in 2006
Caulfield School of Information Technology, Monash University, Australia