Re: [help-GIFT] Appending to a collection, merging collections, or just

From: Jonas Lindqvist
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] Appending to a collection, merging collections, or just "restoring" db-files
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 22:37:45 +0200

address@hidden wrote:

Jonas,

A while back, i did the required research to create a collection in
multiple stages. What i was doing was running my (faster) feature
extractor against all the image files, using several machines,
dropping the result into one big database, and running the following
version of the gift-add-collection.pl script.

I'm attaching said script.

I THINK it works along the same lines as you're talking about,
only I was using several machines to create a collection with this.

I've done the "homework". A collection built with this script is
bitwise identical to a collection built normally.

Please comment.

Okay...
I haven't actually tried the script, but I've read it and compared it to the "old version". And of course I have some thoughts...

The old version compares the modification time of the script, with the modification time of the thumbnails and features-files.
If the script is newer it recreates the thumbnails and fts-files.
This may have made sense at some time when the format of the feature files was not stable... I can't see when it would ever have been interesting for the thumbnails, but then again, I'm not interested in the thumbnails at all.

This "new" version removes these modification-time-comparisons, and only creates thumbs and fts-files when these files are missing. Which makes sense to me. The file-formats should be stable by now, and if it isn't then removing the obsolete files is pretty easy. My only "comment" is that although the modification times are assigned to a couple of variables, these variables aren't used for anything interesting that I can see. Why not remove the variables altogether if they don't serve a real purpose?

(I may have missed some other modifications... I just read the script briefly)

The gift-add-collection.pl script is doing all sorts of handy stuff. I think the best thing about it is that it serves as a good sample for how one could do the indexing. I certainly won't use gift-add- collection.pl once I get around to writing my own script that fits MY needs better. (no thumbnails + appending to a collection, for example)

/Jonas