Re: [help-GIFT] gift-write-feature-descs segfaults... (is the GIFT broke

From: David Squire
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] gift-write-feature-descs segfaults... (is the GIFT broken?)
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 11:31:48 +0100

Jonas Lindqvist wrote:

David Squire wrote:

A "test" makefile target would be great.

For example, using the latest CVS version of the GIFT, I was able to run gift-add-collection on a collection, and query it for a random set of images. No problem. However, whenever asking for any similar images, it failed.
Well of course I meant an actual similarity query. From my point of view getting random images is not really a query (though that is how it appears in MRML and the code). Originally (before MRML) I did this in the interface, not by querying.

:-) Yes, of course... My example was a rather over-simplified way of illustrating that some parts may work when others don't. Testing that we get *a* result doesn't really prove that the images in the result are at all similar to the query image(s). But then again, it's better than nothing.

I'm not sure if it's doable in the GIFT, but it could be handy to be able to break out parts of the code to be used in some sort of "unit tests", to assure that image A is still quite similar to image B but not to image C, etc. The sources could be distributed with a handful of images that can be used for the unit-tests. With a controlled set of images we could also test that the server produces a predictable result over and over again. (Apart from the random stuff).
But this is obvious of course...
Unfortunately I don't know enough about the inner workings of the GIFT to be of any help on this.
(But I would love having tests like this, when playing with the code)

Yes, that is exactly the sort of thing I had in mind. We could bundle a tiny test collection (say 10 images) with the GIFT, and the test would add that collection, and then fire MRML queries at the server for each image, checking that the query result had the right images in the right order with the right similarity values. This is certainly possible using the Perl interface. The only part I would need to put more thought into right now would be how and where to run the various executables before "make install", and where the indexing files etc. would go.

Regards,

David

--
Dr David McG. Squire, Senior Lecturer, on sabbatical in 2006
Caulfield School of Information Technology, Monash University, Australia