Re: [help-GIFT] Compiling gift 0.1.14 on gentoo error

From: Kamil Wencel
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] Compiling gift 0.1.14 on gentoo error
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 08:02:20 +0200

Hi Jonas, thanks again.

Jonas Lindqvist schrieb:
Okay, first cd to where you want the source.

Then, depending on your cvs version, you may need to "login" to the cvs server first: cvs -z3 -d:pserver:address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>:/sources/gift login
just hit enter to give an empty password.

But you might not need to do that. It happens every once in a while...

Then, checking out the source:
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>:/sources/gift co gift

After I installed cvs half an hour ago I figured the trailing "gift" as module name out myself. CVS told me I had to add a module name or PATH,
where I could easily guess it had to be "gift".

But, there is no configure-script in the cvs version, so:
cd gift
source bootstrap-cvs.sh

right ;) thank you for that hint because I was stunned not to find the ./configure - but luckily I stumbled over boostrap myself.

./configure --prefix=...
make

Runs smooth like a kitten. Make exited successfully. Now I will have weeks of fun configuring and learning about gift and how I can possibly implement it into my already existent infrastructure ( if possible at all )

If you later on see on the mailinglist that someone has committed some really neat features to the cvs repository, type:
cvs update

to get the latest version.

That is a very good hint. I probably would have checked it out over and over again.

Hope it works!

Yes it did, and only after one night's sleep. Mailing to the list and having the problem solved therefore only took two hours of my conscious lifetime.

While I am at it:

Are there any pitfalls regarding the configuration of the gift when it comes to php clients ? How should a recommended config file look like if I want to search images with say php_gift to start with ?

Jonas, your help is very much appreciated. Thanks a lot, dude ;)

/Jonas