Re: [help-GIFT] Questions and code...

From: risc
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] Questions and code...
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 11:15:45 -0500

On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 04:37:25PM +0100, David Squire wrote:
> address@hidden wrote:
> >On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 09:32:04AM +0200, Wolfgang Müller wrote:
> >
> >>Busy: yes. Sorry for that.
> >>Professor: no. I am still waiting to become associate prof. Under that,
> >>people in germany are not called professor.
> >>

> >Sorry about that, in my experience at local universities, the only people
> >I run
> >into with a "Dr." atached to their names are professors. ;)
> >

> Let me guess... you are in the States? (Well, your ISP is in Arkansas :)
> ) The rest of the world uses the term "Professor" very differently. In
> Australia, the UK, and most if not all of the Commonwealth, only the
> very most senior academics are Professors (e.g. Head of Department or
> School, and not necessarily even then). I believe this is similar in
> most of Europe.

You guessed it! and of course, being an american, i'm convinced that everything
outside is sticks, and mud huts, right? ;)

> For example, in Australia it goes:
>
> Assistant Lecturer
> Lecturer
> Senior Lecturer
> Associate Professor (or Reader)
> Professor
> Death
>
> Cheers,
>
> David

Thanks for the info. here, they start at associate professor.
and boy, do us americans have a low opinion of "professors" as a result. ;)

I spent three years as technical staff of a local university. low opinion
dosent cover it. :)

> --
> Dr David McG. Squire, Senior Lecturer, on sabbatical in 2006
> Caulfield School of Information Technology, Monash University, Australia
> CRICOS Provider No. 00008C        http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~davids/

Julia Longtin <address@hidden>

No Degrees, No Medals, Hell, barely passed high school!
*tinkers more with gift's internals*