Re: [help-GIFT] Ping!

From: risc
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] Ping!
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 10:46:55 -0500

On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 04:41:13PM +0100, David Squire wrote:
> Wolfgang Müller wrote:
> >>just wondering if anyone has had a chance to try out my optimized feature
> >>extractor yet.
> >>

> >Sorry, still trying to catch up on sleep after a tough weekend.
> >
> >I was just wanting to ask David: Did you look at it? Do you want to do it?
> >
> Not yet. I would like to, but I can't make it first priority at present.
> If it's byte-compatible and faster, then I say go with it. It would be
> good to get it tested on a variety of systems though (esp. 64 bit).

agreed. testing is certainy in order.

> In any case, I would prefer to see a set-up where it is easy to select
> from a variety of feature extractors, rather than have this clobber the
> legacy Viper code (esp. since IIRC there are cases when this is *not*
> faster).

sorry about that. thats my own fault. in testing with your origional
PPM library, i discovered this program runs at "full speed" when i
forget all my SSE2 flags. i've basically been optimizing the code to run
on a "small cache, large CPU, deep pipeline" system. such as my P4. ;)

so, again, i THINK this runs at the faster speed on lower end hardware.
but i havent the hardware to test. ;)