Re: [help-GIFT] Using GIFT for symbol recognition

From: David Squire
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] Using GIFT for symbol recognition
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 16:12:33 +0100

Philip Farrugia wrote:
Hi,

Thank you for your post. As you indicated my interest is about symbols making up the whole image. Basically, what I want from GIFT is that it returns a label for an input image of *one* symbol. Obviously, I'd need to create my own set of images in the database.
OK. First, a content-based image retrieval system produces a ranked list of images as a query result, not a label. You would need to write some code that parsed the MRML message returned by the GIFT as a query result to convert it into a label (e.g. by extracting the filename of the top ranked image, mapping that to a label, etc.)

Please do bear with me.. I'm new to GIFT...kindly can you indicate any user's manual to get familiar in using the code of this software? For instance, how to index a directory structure containing my set of images?

I'm afraid that there is no user manual as such. There are instructions on adding a collection in the GIFT tarball. You can get the GIFT, and this information, from http://www.gnu.org/software/gift/gift.html

Regards,

David

--
Dr David McG. Squire,  Senior Lecturer, on sabbatical in 2006
Caulfield School of Information Technology, Monash University, Australia