Re: [help-GIFT] Using GIFT for symbol recognition

From: Philip Farrugia
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] Using GIFT for symbol recognition
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 17:00:11 +0200

Hi,

Thank you for your post. As you indicated my interest is about symbols making up the whole image. Basically, what I want from GIFT is that it returns a label for an input image of *one* symbol. Obviously,  I'd need to create my own set of images in the database.

Please do bear with me.. I'm new to GIFT...kindly can you indicate any user's manual to get familiar in using the code of this software? For instance, how to index a directory structure containing my set of images?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best Regards,

Philip

Wolfgang Müller wrote:
Hi,

Can you please tell me whether it is possible to recognise hand-drawn
symbols using GIFT? If yes, how to create my own database of symbols in
GIFT?

In addition to what David and Henning said, I think it pretty much depends
what you want to pick out.

David and Henning mainly spoke about symbols that make up the whole image
(unless I grossly misunderstood you, folks), like:

 ----
|888 |
 ----

GIFT would probably be able to pick out that the image consists mainly of
these 3 "8" symbols. Other images which mainly consist of 3 "8" symbols will
be regarded similar by the GIFT.

However, it would *not* be able to pick out every "8" in an image regardless
of number, location and orientation of "8"s. This would need considerable
changes in the feature extraction algorithms.

Ing. Philip J. Farrugia

Assistant Lecturer

Department of Manufacturing Engineering
University of Malta,   Msida  MSD 06,  MALTA.
[T]: (+356) 2340-2045   [F]: (+356) 21 343-577
[W]: http://www.eng.um.edu.mt/~pjfarr/