Re: [help-GIFT] Charmer client Security Exception

From: Wolfgang Müller
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] Charmer client Security Exception
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 14:08:43 +0200

> Are there other clients that work or what am I doing wrong. I started
> installing gift yesterday and it still isn't running... :-(
Dear MS,

Both of us just outed ourselves as not very knowledgeable in the current JAVA
security architecture.

In fact, when I was young ;-) I used to set the environment variable JAVA_HOME
to /usr/lib/java and /usr/lib/java was the link to an unpacked JAVA archive.
Let's call this location JAVA_HOME_OLD, as we don't know where *your* JAVA
resides.

Well, times have changed: you need to set JAVA_HOME to

$JAVA_HOME_OLD/jre/

Then the appletviewer will find the suitable security policy on startup.
Apparrently the standard JAVA security policy lets you do everything you need
for running SnakeCharmer, and it does not even care any more if the images
are from the same location as the applet or not (probably this is only the
case if you use a locally stored appletviewer, but I have not tried the
details.)

Please tell me if things work for you now.

If things do work, please don't hesitate to file bug/findings reports to the
debian package maintainers, and please don't refrain from sending me a patch
for the documentation. I would be very grateful.