Re: [help-GIFT] A GIFT roadmap

From: Wolfgang Müller
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] A GIFT roadmap
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 14:26:14 +0200

On Wednesday 27 August 2003 10:19, Henning Müller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think that this is a very good idea!
> I would definitly do part of the testing as I am working with the system
> here anyways. I will simply send everything to the list that could or
> does cause errors.

Yes, that's the idea. I would be especially happy if you could test the CVS
version.

> I can also help with the programming of a new Java version of gift.
> Maybe we could start with an MRML engine as there is already work done
> by Steph
...and Tayeb...
> and for the inclusions of new domains such as music retrieval
> it would be a good start as well. Platform independe is a factor there,
> too.

Here I would like to add to my last mail, that platform independence of the
feature extraction is an issue. As JAVA advanced imaging has AFAIK no GPLed
pendant.

> Should we set up a cvs somwhere to share code and work on a common
> version? I think that this can go in parallel with the normal gift
> development.

I think if it's going to be GIFT in java there will be a GIFT_in_JAVA
repository at GNU, right?

> I will try to work a bit on gift on MacOs X but I do not have access to
> a BSD machine.

I always thought Darwin was a flavour of BSD...

...I checked. Darwin is a flavour of BSD.