Re: [help-GIFT] compiling gift with Suse 8.2

From: Wolfgang Müller
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] compiling gift with Suse 8.2
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 19:21:37 +0200

[I posted this first to Henning only, now I post a copy here]

Hi,
Thanks for your report.

> I just tried compiling gift with Suse 8.2 and I had a few problems
> before it worked properly.

Which version of GIFT, please? Which version of gcc?

> Several times errors occured saying that assert is not defined
> (merge2sort.h, CInvertedFileChunk.cc, ...). This can be solved by adding
>  include"assert.h" into the files.

#include <cassert> is more c++ish, if I am not mistaken.
> I also got an error message with respect to the long strings that are
> used in the mySQL accesses. They are several lines long and the compiler
>  said that the the strings are unterminated.
Yes, this changed somewhere between gcc 2.95 and 3, if I am not mistaken.
The old "line
breaking
strings"
were a nonstandard extension. As this gets a nuisance if you try making
things work on several compilers without really simplifying the coding,
this was removed from g++. If you get interested in mysql access, then
simply turn strings
"strings
like
this"

into

"strings "
"like "
"this "

(without adding a semicolon at end of the line. The strings will be
concatenated. See Stroustrup's c++ or the gcc docs for details.)

> I commented them out as I
> do  not use mySQL access but there should be a more proper way.
> Is the new compiler really that more sensible?

Yes, each 3.0, 3.1 etc. each brought new surprises, mainly concerning more
strict and more accurate namespace and template handling.